Continuing my adventures with Linux…
Well, I went ahead and bought a new video card to fix the video problems in Linux. Since I hadn’t actually installed anything special in Linux, I wiped it and started over. I added another 6.4 gig hard drive to my Frankenstein machine while I was at it.
So, I installed the 16meg Riva TNT card (only 78 bucks!), the new HD, partitioned, copied, etc. This time, when I popped in the Linux CD, everything went smoothly. Knowing I had to reboot a couple times to get the sound to work helped my headaches stay minimized. Now, after about a week or so running this dual-boot configuration, I’ve installed StarOffice for Linux, and set up a few other things. I’m reading Running Linux and attempting to muddle through. My experience with Unix in Korea helps, but only a little. 🙂
I have about 3 gigs devoted to Linux now, and I’ve got Bootmagic set up to dual boot into either Linux or Win98. While I was updating things, I set up IE 5.0 on the Win98 side, and I can’t tell much difference from IE 4, except I can actually read stuff in the status bar again. They made it back to a normal size, instead of giving 3/4 of the space on the status bar to "Internet Zone" information.